£7500 fine handed out
A landlord in Oxford has been reprimanded for a second time within the space of a year over the safety conditions of property under his ownership.
Mr Jeffeth Juniour Latchman admitted seven charges in court, receiving fines totalling £7500.
An inspection at one property uncovered a number of fire safety breaches, such as the absence of smoke detectors and obstructions blocking potential fire escape routes.
The front and bedroom doors could also not be opened from the inside without a key, and Mr Latchman could not provide a gas safety certificate when asked for.
Inspectors found the general condition of the property was in a very poor state, to the extent that the ceiling eventually collapsed, with tenants having to use facilities in a neighbouring property.
Earlier this year, Mr Latchman was also hit with a £4500 fine after being found to have owned an unlicensed house of multiple occupation.
City council board member for housing, Scott Seamons said: ‘Landlords of HMOs have a legal duty to manage their properties and keep them in good repair.’
It’s devastating to think that fires can destroy millions worth of properties, cause hundreds of injuries and steal dozens of innocent lives all in one instant. It’s even more depressing to think that a conflagration could have been caused by something as foolishly simple as someone leaving a cigarette butt that caught fire. Every day, people practice mindless actions that they remain unaware of it so that they perpetuate a kind of dangerous negligence that could lead to something as treacherous as an accidental fire.
One of the common causes of workplace fires is faulty electrical wiring. Offices and workplaces are hosts to several kinds of equipment and machines that consume a great amount of electricity daily, making workplaces a hotbed of electrical fire hazards. If you’re not wary of these potential deathtraps, you might fail to take note of the common causes of electrical fire when you attempt a thorough fire safety risk assessment on your own.
Commercial establishments like a pub are fun places to have a good time at the end of the day. Almost every population centre in England will have its own pubs or taverns for people to socialise in and wind down with a drink. Even then, in such places, there’s always the danger of untoward incidents like fire occurring as a result of too much ale. This calls for a fire safety risk assessment job to better prepare your establishment, especially since the pub industry is a high-risk place for business operators.
A pub has a number of potential sources where a fire can start. They include the kitchen stove, bottles of spirits, or even leftover stores of cooking oil. A fire risk assessor may even ask you where you store any waste paper. The electrical wiring also warrants a full evaluation and repair, especially if the electrical system hasn’t been checked in a long time.